[ba-column size=”one-half” last=”0″]
[ba-column size=”one-half” last=”1″][/ba-column]
This post could be considered late. I actually had these meatballs in mind for holiday parties (but that didn’t happen) and then I thought for sure I’d get this recipe up before the Super Bowl (turns out, it’s February already.) So instead, I’m sharing these with you today but that’s okay because I eat these all the time (no matter the occasion.)
I have a weakness for all things buffalo and bbq sauce related. These meatballs completely hit the spot when I’m craving something a bit more in the realm of comfort food. Pile these guys on a hoagie with a drizzle of ranch dressing; you’ve got yourself a meal.
I love Sara’s recipe but I tweaked a couple of the proportions to make these meatballs just a bit more crisp while still soaking up the BBQ sauce. The blue cheese isn’t overpowering and plays nicely with the tang of the BBQ sauce (some things are just meant to be together.) Of course, if BBQ sauce isn’t your thing, you can try your hand at buffalo lentil “meat”balls instead!
- 1 cup cooked black lentils, slightly mashed
- ½ cup bread crumbs*
- ¼ cup ricotta
- 1 large egg
- ½ cup blue cheese
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- ½ teaspoon smoked paprika
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- ¼-1/3 cup bbq sauce (store bought or try your hand at homemade)
- In a large bowl combine all the ingredients for the lentils (through oregano). Stir until well combine. Let rest for 10 minutes while the oven preheats to 400˚.
- Measure out roughly an ice cream scoop worth of lentil mix and roll into a ball. Place on a tray covered with parchment paper or large roasting dish lightly oiled.
- Bake meatballs for 15 minutes, flip, and bake for another 15-20 minutes until crisp and firm.
- While meatballs finish up, heat bbq sauce in a small sauce-pan. Brush meatballs with warm bbq sauce and serve (either by itself or on a hoagie!)
*Meatball recipe slightly adapted from Sprouted Kitchen