- 1 cup cooked black lentils, slightly mashed
- 1/2 cup bread crumbs*
- 1/4 cup ricotta
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup blue cheese
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4–1/3 cup bbq sauce (store bought or try your hand at homemade)
- In a large bowl combine all the ingredients for the lentils (through oregano). Stir until well combine. Let rest for 10 minutes while the oven preheats to 400˚.
- Measure out roughly an ice cream scoop worth of lentil mix and roll into a ball. Place on a tray covered with parchment paper or large roasting dish lightly oiled.
- Bake meatballs for 15 minutes, flip, and bake for another 15-20 minutes until crisp and firm.
- While meatballs finish up, heat bbq sauce in a small sauce-pan. Brush meatballs with warm bbq sauce and serve (either by itself or on a hoagie!)
*I hardly ever buy breadcrumbs. Simply toast a piece of bread until crisp then pulse in a food processor until crumbly.