I walked into my kitchen with one goal in mind: make a hearty salad without having to go to the store. I still on occasion walk into my kitchen and feel ho-hum, as if all the ingredients I have can’t make one decent meal. I used to be horrible about this and that would often lead to me convincing M to order food (but, I’d do it in a way that seemed like he came up with the idea to order food so I didn’t feel guilty about not tackling something in the kitchen).
I knew I wanted a salad. I bought lettuce at the store (my first time since March- I get so spoiled with the CSA) with the goal of making a big salad. I needed some color in my life.
However, the lettuce was as far as I got. I had no plan for this salad other than I wanted it to be hearty. I started with my lone sweet potato (because it is the time of year when I only develop recipes with sweet potatoes-not really, but it always feels like it), some quinoa, gorgonzola that I bought awhile ago with intentions to make other things, and just for good measure, some sunflower seeds. I tossed the whole thing together with a drizzle of olive oil and balsamic vinegar and called it good.
Well almost good. I mean, why stop there when you can add eggs? I’ve always loved hardboiled eggs on my salad but recently I’ve felt on a roll with runny eggs (of course, this salad can also be made with hardboiled- it’s really up to you!)
This salad is perfect for a bit of January pick-me-up. It’s the type of meal you eat and then feel like you can tackle the world (although thinking back, that might have been all the tea I drank right before eating this salad). Either way- it’s delicious and perfectly filling.Print
- Sweet Potatoes:
- 1 medium sweet potato
- 1/2 medium onion
- 1/2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon fresh rosemary, minced
- 1/2 cup uncooked quinoa
- 1 cup water
- 2-3 handfuls of lettuce
- 1/3 cup gorgonzola
- 1/4 cup sunflower seeds
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 2-3 eggs
- Preheat oven to 400˚. Cube sweet potato and onion. Toss with 1/2 tablespoon olive oil and rosemary. Roast until tender, 20-25 minutes.
- Rinse quinoa and combine with water in a sauce pan. Bring to a boil, reduce to low heat, cover, and let cook for 15 minutes. Remove from heat and let sit for another 5 minutes, still covered.
- Let sweet potatoes and quinoa cool while making soft-boiled eggs.
- Bring a pot of water to a boil and reduce to a fast simmer. Add eggs and let cook for 5-7 minutes (5 minutes for runny yolks, 7 minutes for slightly firmer yolk). Remove and place in an ice bath for 60 seconds.
- In a large bowl combine lettuce, sweet potatoes, quinoa, sunflower seeds, and gorgonzola. Drizzle olive oil and balsamic vinegar over salad and toss together. Top salad with eggs.