Noodle bowls are one of those meals I’ll make time and again for myself. I almost always have some variety of noodles in my pantry and the vegetables can be almost anything you have available.
One of the things I like about using cabbage is that I inevitably can’t resist at the market but then find myself wondering how I’ll use it all. While I primarily use it raw, I love it charred either from the broiler or the grill. Add to that a few crispy scallions- it’s just delicious.
Finally, this might seem like a lot of dishes for a small amount of meal. Yes, it is but things can run together. You can make the pickles and let them rest while you make everything else. Occasionally I won’t even mix the sauce- I’ll just add everything to a bowl and toss well.
Luckily this recipe is fairly easy. To make this cabbage noodle bowl vegan, swap out the honey for your favorite vegan-friendly sweetener and use tofu/tempeh in place of the egg. For gluten-free, use gluten-free noodles like 100% buckwheat soba noodles or rice noodles. Also, swap out the soy sauce for tamari.Print
3 tablespoons rice vinegar
3 tablespoons water
1 teaspoon honey
¼ teaspoon sea salt
½ cup thinly sliced carrots
½ head savoy cabbage
4 scallions, sliced and saving a few greens for topping
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 tablespoons soy sauce
1/2 teaspoon sesame seeds, plus extra for topping
4 ounces wide udon noodles
2 to 3 eggs
1 tablespoon ghee
- To make the carrots, combine the rice vinegar, water, salt, and honey in a small pot and bring to a boil. Place the carrots in a heat-safe jar then cover with the hot liquid. Let sit for at least 10 minutes.
- Remove the core from the cabbage cut into ¼” thick slices. Add sliced scallions and drizzle with oil, brushing/tossing everything together. Heat your broiler and roast the cabbage until charred. Don’t look away- it will go fast.
- Measure out 3 tablespoons of the pickling liquid and combine with the soy sauce and sesame seeds.
- Cook the noodles according to the package and finally, make the egg. Heat a small skillet over medium heat. Add the ghee and cook the eggs to your liking, spooning the ghee over the eggs to help the whites set.
- Assemble the bowls by combining the noodles with the cabbage, some pickled carrots, the soy sauce mixture, and a solid sprinkle of sesame seeds. Top with an egg and serve with chili flakes and scallion greens if desired.
Keywords: cabbage noodle bowls, noodle bowl