Somewhere along the lines, I ended up with quite a few websites that I really enjoy spending time on. Just recently I updated Naturally Ella so that if you are viewing the site on a tablet/smart phone- it should be easier to see and navigate. I’ve got helpful post lined up for the Wooden Spoons Kitchen blog that I’m really excited to share. Then last night I decided to spend a bit of quality time with my photography site. I love sharing about photography and I feel that Ella Creatives is the perfect space to do so. (and then just for kicks, since I own my name domain, I created a landing page for myself. M will be so proud: I’m embracing my inner nerd).
What I’ve learned from all of this is: I love teaching. I love being able to share the knowledge that I’ve learned and gained over the years so that others may also grow and learn. It’s such a rewarding experience and I hope that each one of my sites can serve as a learning platform for others whether it be whole foods, photography, or technology.
It feels really good to love what you do.
It also feels good to eat something that seems almost like eating dessert for breakfast.
These crepes make for a wonderful, slightly decadent breakfast. I feel like I combined two of my favorite breakfast (pancakes/yogurt) into one: crepes stuffed with yogurt.
When you look at the ingredients you’ll notice that really, these are actually quite healthy. I used minimal sugar because the barley flour and bananas add enough natural sweetness that too much extra would just be overkill. I also suggest grabbing the whole milk greek yogurt ( of course, I’ve moved fully into whole milk everything because really, what’s the point of non-fat?)
Barley Crepes with Yogurt and Cinnamon-Honey Bananas
Between the barley flour and bananas, these crepes don't need a whole lot of extra sweetness. If you don't have barley flour, use whole wheat pastry flour or sub in oat flour for a good gluten-free alternative. Also, feel free to use melted butter in place of the walnut oil.
- 1/4 cup Barley Flour
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup + 2 tablespoons milk
- 1 tablespoon walnut oil
- 1 cup whole milk greek yogurt
- 2 medium bananas
- 4 teaspoons honey
- 3/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- Whisk together barley flour, salt, eggs, milk, and oil until smooth. Heat 8″ skillet and lightly grease with oil. Place a scant ¼ cup of batter in pan. Tilt the pan so that the batter covers the entire pan and cook for about 30 seconds. Flip and cook for another 15 seconds. Layer done crepes, slightly overlapping, on a plate.
- Peel and cut banana into 1/2" slices. Combine with honey and cinnamon in a skillet over medium heat. Let simmer, turning bananas at least once, until bananas are tender, 3-4 minutes.
- Once crepes are done, smear 1/4 cup yogurt on half of one side. Layer a few bananas on top, folder over, and repeat with remaining crepes*. Spoon honey and left over banana slices over crepes and serve.
by Erin Alderson