In a way, I’ve been holding out on you. I’ve been eating this meal for months but I just didn’t ever feel like it was worthy of this site (I mean, it’s a few potatoes tossed with paprika, and topped with an egg!)
But, I realized, if I continue to eat it, a few of you might like it as well. On days I get home late, I’m often looking for a meal that takes minimal effort from me and this meal is usually it. This has also become a bit of a comfort dish for me- I love potatoes and eggs. Sometimes I’ll even eat it on a bed of spinach for this half comfort/half salad dish!
- 1 lb red potatoes
- ½ medium onion
- 2 cloves garlic
- 3 tablespoons heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon smoked paprika
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes (*optional)
- 2-3 eggs
- ¼ cup blue cheese (*optional)
- Chives, to top
- Preheat oven to 400˚.
- Cut potatoes in half, length wise, and then each half lengthwise again. Dice into ½" slices. Cut onions into chunks as well.
- In a large baking dish (I use a pie pan or 11" quiche pan), add potatoes and onions. Mince garlic and add to pan along with the heavy cream, paprika, salt, and pepper flakes. Using a spoon or your hands, toss everything together so that potatoes and onions are coated.
- Bake for 10 minutes, stir, and bake for another 10-15 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
- Remove from oven and create a well in the center. Crack desired amount of eggs in the middle and sprinkle cheese over eggs and potatoes. Return to oven and continue to bake until eggs have set, 7-12 minutes depending on desired firmness of yolk- just make sure the egg whites have set.
- Remove from oven and sprinkle chives on top.