When one buys a flat of strawberries on a whim, it seems almost inevitable that one would make ice cream from said strawberries.
I know that strawberry season is almost over but If I could convince you of one thing today, it would be to only make ice cream from freshly picked berries. Store bought strawberries do not have the flavor and the juiciness of local strawberries.
Seriously, two cups of fresh strawberries in this ice cream, paired with local dairy, and one powerful vanilla bean means you have one amazing bowl of ice cream.
All I want is this ice cream, a good book, and a hammock. That’s summer, right there.
Obviously if strawberry season is over for you, other berries would work just fine. The 90˚ weather in Illinois has left me wanting ice cream every day, possibly even twice, no matter the flavor. However, if you manage to snag a few strawberries, I suggest you throw them in this ice cream.
Have a fantastic first official weekend of summer!
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup 2% milk
- 1 vanilla bean
- 3 large egg yolks
- ¾ cup sugar
- 2 cups strawberries
- Hull strawberries and place in a food processor. Pulse until strawberries have smoothed out.
- Slice the vanilla bean in half and scrape in to a medium pot. Add in heavy cream, milk, and turn on heat to medium. Bring milk to just before it starts to boil and forms bubbles around the edge. In a separate bowl, whisk together egg yolks and sugar until mixture is lighten in color.
- While whisking constantly, stream about a ¼ cup a cup of the heated milk mixture in to the egg mixture. Continue to pour milk while whisking.
- Add contents back to the pot and cook until mixture becomes thick and coats the back of a wooden spoon.
- From here, let cool completely in the refrigerator. Next, freeze according to machine's instructions or you or check out this post that has helpful hints on what to do without a machine. When ice cream has thickened, remove half from the ice cream machine and set aside in freezer. Pour in strawberries and continue to run machine until strawberries have blended. Pour into vanilla portion and swirl. Freeze until hard.