Roasting the tomatoes, onions, peppers, and garlic together in this mix gives the salsa a fantastic smokey flavor:
- 12-14 whole roma tomatoes halved and seeded
- 2 whole garlic cloves peeled
- 1 whole jalapeno peppers halved and seeded
- 2 whole onions, quartered
- ½ cup cilantro
- 1 tablespoon Lemon Juice
- Roast the tomatoes, garlic, jalapeno, and onions in 500˚ oven for 45 min (the first time you do this check sooner.) My mother likes her tomatoes dark. I let mine bake for about 30 minutes. I also used foil so I wouldn’t have to scrub the pan later.
- After the tomato mixture cools, place tomatoes, cilantro, and lemon juice in a food processor and pulse to desired consistency
- I also opted to add half a chipotle pepper in adobo sauce to add a little spicy/smokey flavor.