This sandwich was inspired by a pizza that I ate from a wonderful local pizza place in Galesburg, Illinois. I lovev the idea of a pistachios, parsley, and red onions together. So, this grilled cheese was born with some perfectly melty cheese (I’m leaning towards saying that taleggio cheese may be the perfect one for any grilled cheese).
- 2 tablespoons shelled, roasted pistachios
- 1 clove garlic
- 1½ cups packed parsley
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- ¼ teaspoon salt.
- ½ small red onion, thinly sliced
- 3-4 ounces taleggio cheese, sliced
- 4 slices whole wheat or multigrain bread
- Olive oil for brushing
- In a food processor, pulse pistachios until resembling course meal. Add garlic and parsley, run processor until minced. Drizzle in lemon juice, olive oil, and salt. Run food processor until pesto comes together, adding more olive/lemon juice as needed.
- Preheat grill pan or regular pan over medium-low heat. Brush outsides of bread with olive oil. Place on piece of bread, olive oil side down, in the grill pan and smear on 1 tablespoon of pesto. Layer with sliced red onions and cheese. Smear 1 more tablespoon of pesto on remaining piece of bread and place olive oil side up.
- Cook on each side until crisp and cheese has melted.