There are some things M will never live down.
In our relationship, cooking is delegated to me (which is fine.) However, one of my earliest memories of M in the kitchen consist of a microwave, tortilla chips, and shredded cheese. I couldn’t bare to watch him nuke of plate of chips and call it nachos, not in my house.
So instead I whipped up these nachos and he never looked back. These became a staple in our house whenever we were feeling like eating “junk” food. Sure the cheese doesn’t taste like “nacho” cheese sauce but I promise that these are healthier (and your family will still love these!)
- Cheese Sauce:
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons unbleached all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup minced onion
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- salt/pepper to taste
- 1 cup milk
- 2 cups of good quality cheddar cheese
- Everything else:
- A few handfuls of your favorite tortilla chips
- Toppings: onions, peppers, avocado, black beans, sour cream, salsa, etc…
- To make cheese sauce, heat butter over medium-low heat until melted. Add in onions and saute until translucent, 2-3 minutes. Whisk in flour and let cook for 1-2 minutes more to cook out the flour taste.
- Next, whisk in spices and milk. Continue to cook mixture until the sauce thickens and begins to boil slightly. Remove from heat and whisk in cheddar cheese. If the sauce seems too thick, return to low heat and whisk in more milk until it is the right consistency.
- Place chips on a platter and drizzle sauce on top. Finish my sprinkle your favorite toppings over nachos and serve while still warm!