On occasion (or always) I end up having extra grains I’ve cooked up for a meal. This egg bake is great for using up those excess grains. Feel free to substitute in quinoa, rice, or any other of your favorite grains. I use around 1 cup of the cooked grain to replace the 1/2 cup uncooked millet.
- 1/2 cup uncooked millet
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 2 cups roughly chopped spinach
- 4 large eggs
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons fresh minced dill
- 1/2 cup grated vegetarian parmesan
- In a medium pot over low heat, add millet to lightly toast for 2-3 minutes. Pour in 1 1/2 cups water and a small pinch of salt, bring to a boil, and reduce to a simmer. Cook until water is absorbed, 15-20 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 375˚.
- Combine millet, spinach, Toss millet and spinach together and place in a 8×8 or 9×9 baking pan. Whisk together eggs, milk, salt, and dill. Pour over spinach/millet mixture and lightly smash millet down until covered by eggs.
- Place cheese on top and lightly press down again. Bake for 25-30 minutes until the egg mixture has set and puffed up.