- 1 medium delicata squash
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 uncooked bulgur wheat
- 1/4 cup minced scallions (whites and greens)
- 1/4 cup minced parsley
- 3 tablespoons sunflower seeds
- 1 ounce crumbled goat cheese
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice (see note)
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 400˚. Cut the delicata squash in half lengthwise. Scoop out the seeds and place cut side down. Slice eat half into 1/4″ thick half moon slices. Place in a bowl, drizzle with olive oil and toss with salt and pepper. Spread out onto a sheet tray covered with parchment paper and roast until tender and browning, 15 to 20 minutes.
- While squash is roasting, combined the bulgur with 1 cup water. Bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer, cover, and cook for 12 minutes. Leave covered and remove from heat, let sit for 5 minutes.
- Assemble salad once squash and bulgur is done. Toss the squash and bulgur (see note) with the scallions, parsley, sunflower seeds, and goat cheese. In a small bowl, whisk together olive oil, lemon juice, salt, and pepper. Add to bowl and toss lightly until everything is well combined.
– Another great alternative to lemon juice in this recipe is a white balsamic or champagne vinegar.
– I only used half the cooked bulgur in this recipe (I like my ratio on the high side of vegetable. Feel free to use as much or as little as you want).