A perfect slow cooker dish, this rutabaga gratin can be started before all your guest arrive and be ready to serve when the rest of dinner is ready.
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1/4 cup mascarpone
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 to 2 medium rutabaga (cubed 1/2 inch dice or small wedges (about 4 cups))
- 1/2 cup uncooked millet
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 cup low-sodium vegetable broth
- 1 cup shredded gruyere (divided)
- Fresh parsley (for topping)
- Fresh chives (for topping)
- In a small bowl, whisk together milk and mascarpone. Melt butter in Crock-Pot® slow cooker. Add rutabaga, millet, salt, pepper, thyme, and garlic powder.
- Pour in milk and mascarpone mixture along with the vegetable broth. Add 1/2 cup of shredded gruyere. Mix well and cover. Set Crock-Pot® slow cooker to cook on high for 4 hours or low to cook for 6 hours.
- With 30 minutes remaining, sprinkle remaining gruyere on top of gratin. Cover and let finish cooking. Serve with fresh chopped parsley and chives.
Tips & Tricks: Be sure to chop the rutabaga into small cubes so they cook through. Larger pieces will result in still crunchy rutabaga when the millet has absorbed all the liquid.
- Calories: 250
- Sodium: 393.8
- Fat: 13.3
- Carbohydrates: 23.4
- Protein: 10.2
- Cholesterol: 39.6