A hearty vegetarian main dish, this lentil shepherd’s pie using French lentils cooked with bulgur to add texture and heft to the overall dish.
- 1/2 cup French (Le Puy) Lentils
- 1 3/4 cup water
- Pinch of salt
- 1/4 cup bulgur
Sweet Potato Topping
- 1 1/2 pounds sweet potatoes (peeled)
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small yellow onion (minced)
- 2 stalks celery (minced)
- 2 medium carrots (minced)
- 1 tablespoon white whole wheat flour (or unbleached all purpose flour)
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 2 teaspoons fresh minced thyme
- 2 teaspoons fresh minced rosemary
- 1 teaspoon Frontier Co-op Organic garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce (vegan)
- 1 cup low-sodium vegetable broth
- In a medium pot, combine the lentils with the water and salt. Bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer, cover, and let cook for 15 minutes. Stir in the bulgur, cover, and cook for another 10 to 15- until the lentils and bulgur are tender and water is gone.
- While lentils are cooking, peel sweet potatoes and cut into chunks. Bring a pot of water to a boil and cook sweet potatoes until tender, 10 to 15 minutes. Drain and place in a bowl. Add cream and salt then mash until smooth. Set aside.
- Heat oven to 425˚ F and set aside a casserole dish.
- Heat a pot or dutch oven over medium heat. Add the olive oil, followed by the minced onions, carrots, and celery. Cook until the vegetables are fragrant and soft, 6 to 8 minutes. Stir in the flour and cook for a minute more then add the salt, pepper, rosemary, thyme, garlic powder, Worcestershire sauce, tomato paste, and lentil mixture. Stir until well combined then add the broth. Bring to a boil and let thicken for a couple minutes. Transfer the mixture to a baking dish and top with the mashed sweet potatoes.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, until the sweet potatoes are browning and the filling is bubbling. Serve with a sprinkle of parsley and freshly cracked black pepper.
Tips & Tricks: Look for vegan Worcestershire- my favorite brand is Annie’s.
Nutrition: see the information.
- Calories: 375
- Sugar: 11
- Sodium: 693
- Fat: 9.6
- Carbohydrates: 64.3
- Fiber: 10.9
- Protein: 11.1
- Cholesterol: 20.4