- 21⁄4 cups (270 g) whole wheat pastry flour or unbleached all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon sea salt
- 2 tablespoons poppy seeds
- 2 tablespoons lemon zest
- 1⁄2 cup (112 g) unsalted butter, chilled and cubed
- 1 large egg
- 3 tablespoons (45 ml) lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons (45 ml) heavy cream, plus more for brushing
- 1⁄3 cup (80 ml) maple syrup
- 1⁄2 cup (60 g) confectioners’ sugar
- 1 tablespoon (15 ml) lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- Preheat the oven to 425 ̊F (220 ̊C, or gas mark 7). Cover a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Place the flour, baking powder, salt, poppy seeds, and lemon zest in a food processor. Pulse until combined. Add the butter and pulse until the mixture is in small, pea-size pieces. Transfer to a large bowl.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the egg, heavy cream, lemon juice, and maple syrup. Pour into the dry ingredients and stir until just combined.
- Turn out the dough onto a floured surface, squeeze the dough a rectangle, about 1 inch (2.5 cm) thick and 3″ wide. Using a knife or bench scoop, cut into 8 squares or triangles.
- Place the scones 1 to 2 inches (2.5 to 5 cm) apart on the baking sheet. Brush with heavy cream. Bake the scones until firm to the touch and golden, 18 to 20 minutes. Remove from the oven and transfer to a rack to cool.
- To make the icing: Whisk together the confectioners’ sugar, lemon juice, and lemon zest in a bowl. Once the scones have cooled slightly, spread roughly 1 teaspoon of icing on each one.
Recipe from The Easy Vegetarian Kitchen Cookbook.