A hearty, gluten-free breakfast porridge featuring home cracked millet topped with maple roasted strawberries and hemp seeds.
- 2 cups quartered strawberries
- 2 teaspoons maple syrup
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 2 teaspoons unsalted butter
- 1 cup uncooked millet
- 2 cups whole or almond milk (plus extra as needed)
- 1 cup water
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- Hemp seeds, for topping
- Maple syrup, for topping
- Preheat oven to 375˚ F. Toss strawberries with maple syrup and cardamom. Roast for 15-20 minutes or until strawberries are soft and juicy.
- In a coffee grinder or blender, pulse millet. Millet should be roughly half grain, half flour consistency.
- Heat a small skillet or pan over medium-low heat. Add the butter and melt. Stir in the millet and lightly toast for 3-4 minutes.
- Add the milk and water. Bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer, cover, and cook for 15-20 minutes. Stir the porridge occasionally to check consistency. Millet should be porridge consistency and grain pieces should be soft. If grains are not soft, add a bit more milk and continue to cook until grains are tender.
- Serve with roasted strawberries, a bit of heavy cream or milk, and a sprinkle of hemp seeds.
Tips & Tricks: Swap the milk/water for whatever your favorite alternative milk is or use all milk for a creamier consistency.
Nutrition: see the information.
- Calories: 514
- Sugar: 11.5
- Sodium: 328
- Fat: 11.2
- Carbohydrates: 90.5
- Fiber: 14.3
- Protein: 13.5
- Cholesterol: 10.3