An easy vegan summer meal featuring a homemade creamed corn and hearty barley.
- 2 cups sweet corn kernels
- 1 cup sweet corn broth or low-sodium vegetable broth
- 1 cup pearl barley, uncooked
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly cracked black pepper
- Scallion greens, for serving
- Chili flakes, for serving
- Olive oil, for serving
- In a medium pot, heat the sweet corn kernels and broth. Bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer, and cook until the kernels have softened, 10 to 15 minutes. Transfer the broth and ¾ the kernels to a blender. Puree until smooth. Transfer back to the pan with the remaining kernels and gently heat until ready to use.
- In a separate pan, combine barley with 2 ¼ cups water. Bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer, cover, and let cook for 30 minutes. Barley should be tender but slightly chewy. Stir in the creamed corn, salt, and pepper.
- Transfer the barley to bowls and top with scallion greens, chili flakes, and olive oil.
Tips & Tricks: To make sweet corn broth, place 4 corn cobs in a pot, breaking as needed to fit. Cover with equal parts water (4 cobs + 4 cups of water). Add in 1 bay leaf, 2 springs of rosemary, and half a yellow onion. Bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer, and let cook for 45 minutes. Remove the cobs, onion, and herbs then transfer the stock to a jar. Don’t strain- you will lose some of the goodness!
Nutrition: see the information.
- Calories: 512
- Sugar: 5.5
- Sodium: 511.8
- Fat: 4.2
- Saturated Fat: .7
- Carbohydrates: 104.5
- Fiber: 19.7
- Protein: 16.7
- Cholesterol: 0