- Butternut Squash
- 2 cups 1/4″ cubed butternut squash
- 1/2 cup diced red onion
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1–2 teaspoon crushed dried chipotle peppers (see note)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup black beans, with liquid
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 2 teaspoons honey
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 2 tablespoons minced cilantro
- Everything Else
- 4 to 6, 6″ corn tortillas
- 2–3 ounces crumbled goat cheese
- Cilantro, for topping
- Preheat oven to 425˚.
- Toss butternut squash with onion, olive oil, chipotle pepper, and salt. Spread in a single layer on a sheet tray covered with parchment paper. Roast for 20-25 minutes or until squash is tender and beginning to brown.
- In a small sauce pan, combine black beans with liquid, lime juice, honey, and cumin. Cook over medium-low until the liquid has mostly evaporated, 4 to 5 minutes (may take less or more time depending on how much liquid there was). Remove from heat and stir in the cilantro.
- Place the tortillas on a sheet tray and divide black bean mixture evenly. Top with butternut squash and finish with a sprinkle of goat cheese. Bake for 10 to 15 minutes until tortilla is crisp and goat cheese is browning. Serve with a sprinkle of cilantro.
+ For the ground chipotles, you can also use chipotle powder. Make sure you know whether or not the powder is hot and adjust measurements accordingly.
+ Fresh, homemade tortillas really do work best for these black bean tostadas.