- 1 cup black beans with cooking liquid
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon chipotle chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 ripe avocado
- 2 tablespoons minced cilantro
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 4 whole wheat flour tortillas, 10 inches across
- Olive oil, for brushing
- 3 to 4 ounces shredded sharp cheddar
- In a skillet, combine black beans and liquid with the garlic, chipotle powder, sea salt and lime juice. Heat over medium-low and cook until the majority of liquid has been absorbed, 6 to 8 minutes.
- Meanwhile, scoop the avocado from its shell and place it in a bowl. Add the minced cilantro and lime juice; mash with a fork until avocado is in small chunks.
- Preheat a griddle or large, flat skillet over low heat. Brush one side of a tortilla with olive oil and place it oil-side down on a plate or other clean surface. Sprinkle with 1/4 of the cheese, followed by 1/2 the black beans, 1/2 the avocado mixture, and finish with another layer of cheese. Place another tortilla on top and brush the top side with olive oil. Repeat with remaining ingredients to make a second quesadilla.
- Cook the quesadilla over low heat, flipping once, about 4 to 5 minutes. The tortilla should be browning and crisp and the cheese should be melting. Repeat with second quesadilla. Cut into wedges to serve.