- 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- ½ cup oats, ground in a food processor
- 2¼ teaspoons baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 egg white, yolk reserved
- ¼ cup buttermilk
- ½ cup black raspberries, frozen
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- 1 tablespoon water
- Place black raspberries in freezer 1+ hours before makings scones.
- Preheat oven to 425˚ and cover a sheet tray in parchment paper (or silpat).
- In a large bowl, sift together all the dry ingredients. Cut in butter (using pastry blender, two knives, hands, or a food processor) until butter is in little pea size pieces. In a smaller bowl, whisk together egg white, maple syrup, and buttermilk. Combine with dry ingredients until dough pulls together.
- Toss frozen black raspberries with lemon zest and flour. Fold in to scone dough.
- Pat dough into a circle and cut into 6-8 triangles. Place on the sheet tray 1-2 inches apart. Whisk together egg yolk and water; brush over scones. Place tray in oven and bake for 15-18 minutes until scones are golden and firm to the touch.