Perfectly crisp homemade baked french fries are one of the recipes we make nearly every week. These fries are the perfect companion for burgers, sandwiches, or even salads.
Baked French Fries
- 1 lb yukon gold potatoes
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 cup homemade or pre-made ketchup (see note)
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon good curry powder
- Preheat oven to 400˚ and line a baking tray with parchment paper.
- Rinse the potatoes well. Taking one potato at a time, cut the ends off the potato to create a level surface. Stand up on one end and cut down the potato in 1/4″ thick slices.
- Stack half the slices on the flat side down and cut again into 1/4″ thick strips. Repeat with remaining potatoes. It’s important that the fries are cut in similar thicknesses. This will help the fries bake evenly.
- Place the fries on one or two baking trays and toss with the olive oil, spices, salt, and pepper. Spread the fries out so that the are mostly not touching.
- Bake the fries for 30 to 35 minutes until crisp and golden. While the fries are baking, stir together the ketchup and curry powder. Serve fries hot with your favorite sauce or the curried ketchup.
- If you want to use traditional russet potatoes, I recommend soaking the cut fries in cold water for at least 30 minutes then rinsing before tossing with olive oil.
- If I’m making my homemade ketchup, I’ll add the curry powder into the cooking process.
- My original fry recipe called for adding dried oregano, parsley, and a pinch of mustard powder. Try playing around with the spices to find your favorite combination.
- Serving Size: 1/2 the recipe
- Calories: 241
- Sugar: 1.9
- Sodium: 305
- Fat: 7.2
- Saturated Fat: 1.1
- Carbohydrates: 41
- Fiber: 5
- Protein: 4.9
- Cholesterol: 0
Keywords: homemade baked french fries, baked french fries, oven baked french fries