A grilled cheese sandwich fit for an adult loaded with wilted kale and perfectly melted gouda cheese.
- 2 cups destemmed packed kale
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic (minced)
- 4 slices whole wheat bread
- 1 tablespoon softened butter
- 4 slices Arla sliced gouda cheese
- Roughly chop the kale and set aside. Heat a medium to large skillet over medium-low heat. Add the olive oil followed by the kale. Cook, stirring frequently, until the kale has wilted slightly, 3 to 4 minutes. Stir in the garlic and continue to cook until the garlic is fragrant and golden, 1 to 2 minutes. Remove kale from pan and set aside.
- Wipe out the pan and reduce heat to low. Take a small amount of butter and spread on one side of a piece of bread. Place the buttered side down in the pan and top with a slice of cheese, half the greens, and another slice of cheese. Brush another slice of bread with butter and top, leaving the buttered side up.
- Cook until the bread is golden. Flip, and continue to cook until the cheese has melted and both sides are golden. If the cheese has melted but the bread has not fully toasted, turn up the heat slightly.
- Remove from the skillet, slice in half, and serve with a side of hummus if desired.
Make the garlicky greens ahead of time to make this grilled cheese faster.