- Ingredients: 2 cups (500 mL) whole spelt flour or white/wheat mix
- 2 teaspoon (10 mL) baking powder
- 2 tablespoons (30 mL) ground flaxseed
- 1/2 teaspoon (2 mL) cinnamon
- 1 cup (250 mL) grated carrots
- 2 cups (500 mL) almond milk at room temperature
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) melted coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon (5 mL) vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons (30 mL) maple syrup, plus extra for serving
- Sea salt
- 1 recipe coconut cream (page 287 in the cookbook) (optional)
- Preheat a waffle iron.
- In a large bowl, mix the flour, baking powder, flaxseed, cinnamon, and a pinch of salt.
- In a medium bowl, mix together the grated carrots, almond milk, coconut oil, vanilla, and maple syrup. Fold the carrot mixture into the dry ingredients and stir until just combined.
- Scoop an appropriate amount of batter onto your waffle iron and cook until the edges are slightly crisp. Serve with maple syrup and the coconut cream, if using.
+ Reprinted from The Love & Lemons Cookbook by arrangement with Avery Books, a member of Penguin Group (USA) LLC, A Penguin Random House Company. Copyright © 2016, Jeanine Donofrio. Photographs copyright © 2016 by Jeanine Donofrio and Jack Mathews
+ Recipe is reprinted from the book. I made a couple swaps based on what I had around: chia for the flaxseed and I served the waffles with almonds and fig jam.