A hearty winter barley stew that features slow-cooked sweet potatoes and chewy barley.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion ((6 oz) diced)
- 2 cloves garlic (minced)
- 2 medium sweet potatoes ((1 1/2 pounds))
- 1/2 cup pearled barley
- 2 cups water
- 2 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoons coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Sour cream (for serving)
- Cilantro (for serving)
- Heat a Crock-pot® slow cooker over high. Add the olive oil, red onions, and garlic. Stir to coat the onions and let warm.
- Peel the sweet potato and dice into ½” sized pieces. Add to the slow cooker along with the barley, water, vegetable broth, cumin, smoked paprika, coriander, and salt. Set the slow cooker to high (for 4 hours) or low (for 8 hours).
- While the stew is cooking, stir occasionally. Add more vegetable broth, ½ cup at a time, if the liquid has absorbed too quickly.
Tips & Tricks: I took the short prep-time approach and didn’t cook the onions beforehand. If you have the time, I recommend cooking the onions and garlic in the olive oil on the stovetop before adding to the crockpot.
Stock up: get the pantry ingredients you will need: sweet potatoes, barley, cumin, smoked paprika
Nutrition: see the information.
- Calories: 438
- Sugar: 16.4
- Sodium: 507.5
- Fat: 4.4
- Carbohydrates: 93.8
- Fiber: 15.6
- Protein: 8.8
- Cholesterol: 0