A hearty vegan main dish featuring simple roasted acorn squash topped with a spicy lentil raddichio salad.
- 2 acorn squash
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cups radicchio (ribboned)
- 1 cup dried puy lentils
- 2 1/2 cups water
- Salt and pepper (to taste)
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons sriracha
- 2 teaspoons honey (or brown rice syrup)
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Cut squash in half, scoop out seeds, and cut squash into wedges. Place on a parchment lined roasting pan. Drizzle with olive oil, and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Toss until evenly coated. Roast squash for 15 to 20 minutes, flip squash and roast another 15 to 20 minutes until slightly brown.
- In a small pot, bring lentils, water, and a pinch of salt to a boil. Cover and reduce to simmer. Let cook 25 to 35 minutes, until lentils are soft but still hold their shape. Drain any excess water if necessary.
- In a small bowl, whisk together dressing ingredients. In a separate bowl, combine radicchio and cooked lentils. Pour dressing into bowl and toss to combine.
- Transfer squash to a large serving platter. Top with radicchio and lentil mixture. Serve warm.
Tips & Tricks: Cook the lentils ahead to minimize active cooking time. For this recipe, I like to cook the lentils for a bit of extra time so they are more tender. You could also prep the radicchio and dressing ahead for this dish.
Serve the radicchio salad as a main dish instead of as a side! Quarter the squash and roast a bit longer until tender.
Nutrition: see the information.
- Calories: 396
- Sugar: 4.1
- Sodium: 85.2
- Fat: 14.3
- Carbohydrates: 57.9
- Fiber: 8.7
- Protein: 14.1
- Cholesterol: 0