This hearty breakfast is a perfect way to keep yourself fueled until lunch. Kale is my go-to for this savory oatmeal but chard and spinach are also nice!
- 1 cup steel cut oats
- 1 1/2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1/4 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
- 1 bunch kale (roughly 4 cups chopped and packed)
- 4 teaspoons olive oil (divided)
- 4 cloves garlic
- 2 large eggs (for frying)
- Red pepper flakes (for topping)
- Combine vegetable broth and water in a pot. Bring to a simmer, add oats and salt, reduce heat, cover, and cook for roughly 15 minutes (add/subtract time for desired consistency of oats). Remove from heat and let sit for 5 minutes.
- Prepare the kale by removing the stems and cutting the leaves into 1/4 inch strips. As the oats are finishing, heat 2 teaspoons of olive oil in a large, wide pot. Add in the garlic, cooking for roughly a minute. Add the chopped kale and stir to coat with the garlic. Add in 1/4 cup of water, cover, and let kale cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Once done, remove kale from heat and transfer to a bowl. Add in the remaining 2 teaspoons of olive oil and fry the eggs to your liking.
- Assemble the bowls by dividing the oats into two bowls. Then top each bowl with garlicky kale and a fried egg.
Tips & Tricks: Feel free to play around with the amount of water/cook time for the oats. For example, I like a nice creamy oatmeal, so I tend to cook them for just a bit longer.
Nutrition: find more information
- Calories: 314
- Sugar: 3.8
- Sodium: 388.7
- Fat: 13.8
- Carbohydrates: 41.3
- Protein: 12.6
- Cholesterol: 27.9