An easy breakfast toast featuring one romesco, one of my favorite spreads/sauces that uses roasted red peppers and smoked paprika.
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 slices crusty whole wheat bread
- [url] 1/4 cup romesco sauce∞https://naturallyella.com/fried-cauliflower-romesco-sauce/[/url]
- 1 small shallot, thinly sliced
- 2 ounces mozzarella cheese, sliced
- 1 large avocado
- 2 eggs, cooked how you like
- Parsley, for serving
- Chili Flakes, for serving
- Heat the broiler on your oven with a rack about 6” away from the broiler.
- In an large, oven-safe skillet over medium-low heat, add the butter. Place the pieces of bread in the skillet and toast, flipping occasionally, until lightly browning. Remove from heat.
- Spread romesco sauce over each piece of toast then layer with sliced shallots and mozzarella cheese. Place the skillet under the broiler and cook until cheese has melted and is bubbly, 1 to 2 minutes. Keep a close eye on the toast as this may go quickly- it’s easy to burn!
- Remove from oven and top each romesco toast with sliced avocado and fried egg. Sprinkle with parsley and chili flakes if desired.
Tips & Tricks: The romesco sauce can be made ahead of time, making quick work of this sandwich. Also, I’ve been known to toast the bread in the toaster instead of the skillet but I love the use of the butter/skillet.
Nutrition: see the information.
- Calories: 605
- Sugar: 5.5
- Sodium: 420
- Fat: 47
- Carbohydrates: 31.6
- Fiber: 12
- Protein: 20
- Cholesterol: 200