- 3/4 cup old-fashioned rolled oats
- 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon ginger
- 1/2 cup crushed pecans or walnuts
- 1 cup pumpkin puree
- 3/4 cup maple syrup
- 1/3 cup walnut oil (or melted butter)
- 2 large eggs
- oatmeal and nuts to top
- Preheat oven to 350˚and generously butter/oil a 8 or 9″ loaf pan (see note).
- In a food processor, pulse oats until almost flour- I still like little pieces of oats left. Place in a large bowl and add wheat flour,baking soda, salt, spices and nuts.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together pumpkin puree, maple syrup, melted butter (or oil), and two eggs. I like to extra nuttiness the nut oil adds but you can also use melted butter or coconut oil. Pour into dry ingredients. Stir until just combined (don’t over stir!)
- Pour into prepared pan and sprinkle with oats and nuts. Bake for 50-60 minutes. Top should spring back lightly and when a knife is entered, it should come out clean. Let cool and slice!
If using an 8″ pan, the bread may need to bake for slightly longer. Use the knife test and keep cooking for 5 extra minutes until the knife comes out clean.