- 1 1/2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 3/4 cup roasted and unsalted shelled pistachios
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 3/4 cup whole milk
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup coconut oil or melted butter
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1 1/2 cup dark chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350˚ F and line a muffin tin with 12 liners.
- To make pistachio meal, pulse pistachios in a food processor until broken down into meal. Do not run for a long time or pistachio meal will turn into pistachio butter.
- In a bowl, combine 1 1/2 cups ground pistachios (reserving 1/4 cup for later use), wheat flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. In a separate bowl, whisk eggs and add in milk, oil, and honey.
- Pour wet ingredients into dry and ingredients and stir until barely combined. Fold in chocolate chips.
- Divide batter among 12 muffins. Sprinkle with remaining ground pistachio meal. Bake for 15-18 minutes. Top should be golden brown and muffin should spring back lightly when touched.
- Extra muffins store well in the freezer.
This recipe can also be made into 6 jumbo muffins by adding more time to baking.