A hearty fall salad that’s perfect for an easy lunch or beautiful holiday side dish. This salad also works well with apples and/or spinach in place of the frisee.
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 2 teaspoons muscovado sugar (or brown sugar)
- 1/2 cup raw walnut pieces
- 1 medium ripe pear
- 1/3 cup crumbled Gorgonzola cheese
- 4 cups packed frisee lettuce
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- Salt and pepper (to taste)
- In a medium skillet, melt butter and whisk in sugar over medium low heat. Add walnuts and let cook. Stir often, until sugar has caramelized on the walnuts, about 3 to 4 minutes. Remove from skillet and set aside.
- Slice pear, 1/8 to 1/4 inch thick. Whisk together olive oil, balsamic vinegar, salt and pepper. Toss dressing with lettuce.
- To assemble salad, place lettuce in a bowl and top with walnuts, pears, and Gorgonzola cheese.
Tips & Tricks: Frisee and other greens in the endive family stand up well in pre-dressed salads. The lettuce maintains its crunch without wilting. But you can always dress immediately before serving if you prefer.
Nutrition: find more information
- Calories: 194
- Sugar: 3.8
- Sodium: 135
- Fat: 15.3
- Carbohydrates: 12.3
- Protein: 3.8
- Cholesterol: 16.1