Combining two classical dinner dishes into one, these lasagna stuffed peppers use orzo in place of the lasagna noodles for quick assembly.
- 2 red or green bell peppers
- 2 ounces whole wheat orzo
- 1/2 cup whole milk ricotta
- 1 egg white
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 3/4 cup tomato sauce
- 2 ounces shredded mozzarella cheese
- Turn on your oven’s broiler or preheat your oven to 500˚ F. Broil the peppers, turning occasionally, until just soft and starting to blister, 1 minute or so- keep a close eye on them. Let cool slightly. Place in a roasting pan and cut a slit down the side of each pepper. Remove the core and seeds. Lower the oven temperature to 375˚ F.
- Cook the orzo, drain, and set aside. Stir together the ricotta, egg white, oregano, salt, and pepper.
- Slice the peppers in half and layer with the tomato sauce, orzo, ricotta, and then more tomato sauce. Sprinkle the peppers with the shredded mozzarella cheese. Place in a baking dish.
- Bake the peppers until the cheese is melted and the filling is hot, 20 to 25 minutes.
Tips & Tricks: Depending on the pepper size, you might have extra filling. I like to mix everything together in a small baking dish, top with a bit of extra cheese and bake until bubbling.
For the tomato sauce, you can make your own or use store-bought to speed up the recipe.
Nutrition: See the information.
- Calories: 351
- Sugar: 6.7
- Sodium: 960.4
- Fat: 15.9
- Carbohydrates: 34.7
- Fiber: 3.6
- Protein: 21.2
- Cholesterol: 56.6