Impress your holiday guest with this flavorful quiche. The garlicky kale and the crust can be made ahead of time for simple prep day-of.
- 1 1/4 cups Bob’s Red Mill All-Purpose Flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons cold, unsalted butter (cubed)
- 1 ounce cream cheese
- 3 tablespoons cold water
- 1 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium shallot (4 ounces)
- 3 cloves garlic (minced)
- 1/2 pound lacinato kale (roughly chopped)
- 8 large eggs
- 2 1/2 cups whole milk
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 4 ounces sharp cheddar (shredded)
- To make the crust, combine flour and salt in a large bowl. Cut in butter and cream cheese using a pastry blender or your fingers until butter is pea sized. Add water and maple syrup and work into dough until it begins to come together. Shape dough into a disk, wrap in plastic and let chill for 20 minutes in refrigerator.
- Preheat oven to 425°F. Roll out dough and crimp into a 9 inch pie pan. Parbake the crust for 10 to 15 minutes until lightly golden. Remove from oven and set aside. Reduce heat to 375°F.
- While crust is baking, heat olive oil in a pan over medium heat. Add shallot and let cook 3 to 4 minutes until translucent. Add garlic and cook 1 minute until fragrant. Add kale to the pan and cook until kale is wilted. Remove from heat and set aside to cool.
- In a large bowl, whisk together eggs, milk, salt and pepper. Transfer kale into the prepared pie crust followed by 3/4 of the cheese. Pour egg mixture into the crust. Sprinkle remaining cheese on top. Transfer to the oven and bake until eggs have set and puffed, about 45 to 55 minutes.
- Let quiche sit 10 to 15 minutes before serving.
Tips & Tricks: You could also make this quiche crust in a food processor
Nutrition: See the information.
- Calories: 383
- Sugar: 7.5
- Sodium: 440
- Fat: 24
- Carbohydrates: 26.4
- Protein: 16.1
- Cholesterol: 234