Perfect for a cold winter night, this chickpea stew is simple to make with a few key pantry ingredients. Make it vegan by leaving out the parmesan!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 shallot (minced)
- 2 cloves garlic (minced)
- 1 can chickpeas (drained and rinsed (16 oz))
- 2 teaspoons fresh thyme
- 1 can Muir Glen Organic Diced Tomatoes (14.5 oz)
- 2 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup shredded vegetarian parmesan
- 2 cups chopped kale (about 4 ounces)
- Parsley (for topping)
- Salt (to taste)
- Pepper (to taste)
- In a large pot or dutch oven, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add shallots and let cook until tender and fragrant. Add garlic, thyme, and salt and pepper to taste.
- Next, pour in chick peas and let cook one to two minutes.Then add diced tomatoes, vegetable broth, and parmesan. Bring to a boil then add in chopped kale. Stir, reduce heat, and let cook until the kale is wilted, about 5 minutes. Serve with a sprinkle of parsley and parmesan.
Tips & Tricks: You can easily use dried herbs instead of fresh. Reduce the amount to 1 teaspoon of dried thyme.
Use a microplane zester to shred the parmesan so it melts and incorporates into the broth.
Nutrition: see the information.
- Calories: 588
- Sugar: 19.4
- Fat: 21
- Carbohydrates: 73.1
- Fiber: 19.4
- Protein: 31.2
- Cholesterol: 19.2