A filling vegetarian breakfast sandwich with fried cheese, eggs, and fresh summer tomatoes.
- 4 ounces halloumi
- 1 cup grape tomatoes (or something similar in size)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 to 2 cups baby arugula or spinach
- 2 eggs (fried to your liking)
- 1 to 2 tablespoons whole grain mustard
- 4 slices toasted bread
- To prep, cut the halloumi in to 8, 1/2 ounce slices and slice the grape tomatoes in half lengthwise. Heat olive oil in a skillet large enough to fry the halloumi and tomatoes. Heat over medium heat and add the halloumi followed be the tomatoes, cut-side down. Fry the halloumi until golden on each side, 1 to 2 minutes per side and cook the tomatoes until charring on the cut side, 2 to 3 minutes. Remove both from heat the skillet.
- Assemble the sandwiches by layering half the arugula, followed by the halloumi, fried tomatoes, egg, and the top piece of bread with a smear of mustard on it. Serve immediately.
Tips & Tricks: For an extra boost, slather the bread with hummus in place of the mustard (or with!)
Nutrition: see the information.
- Calories: 430
- Sugar: 6
- Sodium: 959
- Fat: 25.1
- Carbohydrates: 31.4
- Fiber: 2.7
- Protein: 20
- Cholesterol: 210.4