3 medium chioggia beets, peeled and cut into ¼” thick slices
1 garlic clove
2 tablespoons Ghee
¼ teaspoon sea salt
½ to ¾ cup Pea Shoots
3 tablespoons Sunflower Seeds
¾ cup white beans, drained, reserving the liquid, and rinsed
Juice and zest from ½ lemon
1 to 2 tablespoons dill, plus more for serving
Salt, to taste
Flaky Sea salt for serving
- Peel, trim, and cut the beets into ¼” thick half-circles. Add water to the bottom of a pan that is fitted with a steaming basket. Bring the water to a boil, add the beets to the steaming basket, cover, and cook until the beets are tender but still have a bit of texture, about 10 minutes.
- While the beets are cooking, peel and thinly slice the garlic. Melt the ghee in a pan and add the garlic. Cook until the garlic is golden and crisp. Remove from heat and stir in the salt.
- Next, make the bean puree. Combine the beans with the lemon zest, juice, dill, and salt. Puree, adding just enough of the liquid, until the bean puree is smooth.
- Once the beets are done, let cool slightly then combine with pea shoots and sunflower seeds. Drizzle with the ghee/crunchy garlic. Squeeze a bit of lemon juice on top and toss until everything is well combined.
- Take the white bean mixture and smear onto a plate or bowl. Top with the beet mixture and serve with a sprinkle of flaky sea salt, because why not.
Keywords: Garlicky beets