- 1 cup raw hazelnuts
- 2 cups rolled oats
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cardamom*
- 2 tablespoons orange zest
- 6 T honey or maple syrup
- ¼ cup butter or walnut oil
- 1 cup dried cranberries
- Preheat oven to 300˚ and cover two baking trays with parchment paper.
- Place hazelnuts in a food processor and pulse until the nuts are in small pieces but not quite the consistency of meal. Place in a large bowl along with the rolled oats and sea salt.
- In a small sauce pan, combine cardamom, orange zest, honey, and butter. Heat over low heat until butter is melted and cardamom is fragrant. Pour over the oat mixture and stir until everything is well coated.
- Divide granola onto the two baking trays and press into a thin layer. Place in oven and bake for 45-55 minutes, stirring every 20 minutes or so. Granola should be golden in color. Remove from oven and let cool for 10 minutes. Pour into a bowl and stir in dried cranberries.
- Store in an airtight container for up to a week.
*I’ve also made this with 6 green cardamom pods. Break open the pods, remove the seeds, and grind in a spice grinder or a mortar and pestle. Also, I occasionally add the cranberries with the oat mixture before baking so that they bake with the granola. However, I don’t always like the chewiness that comes from the baked dried fruit.