1/2 medium onion (174g/6oz)
1 medium zucchini (¾lb/340g)
2 tablespoons unsalted butter or olive oil
1/4 teaspoon sea salt
6 large Pete and Gerry Organic Eggs
1/2 cup whole milk
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
2 ounces shredded cheddar cheese
Black pepper, for topping
Julienned Basil, for topping
- Heat oven to 425˚F. Mince the onion and finely dice the zucchini. I like the zucchini to be in small, 1/4” cubes for this because I find it helps evenly cook and caramelize the zucchini. Heat an 8” oven-safe skillet over medium heat. Add the butter or olive oil followed by the onions,zucchini, and salt. Cook over medium heat,stirring occasionally,for about 15-20 minutes until the zucchini and onions are tender, browning, and cooked down. If you find the mix starts to scorch, turn the heat down.
- While the vegetables cook, whisk together eggs, milk, and salt. When the zucchini has cooked down, reduce the heat to low and pour in the egg mixture. Swirl the eggs around the pan and loosen any filling on the bottom with a spatula. Cook for a few minutes to let the bottom of the frittata set.
- Sprinkle the cheese on top and transfer to the oven. Bake for 18 to 20 minutes until the eggs are fully set, and the top of the frittata is puffed up and golden. Sprinkle with black pepper and basil before serving.
- When using basil, I like to finish the frittata with a heavy sprinkling of fresh basil instead of using it in the filling. The flavor gets a bit lost in the filling.
- If I’ve run out of milk, I’ll gladly make this frittata with heavy cream. If I do this, I typically drop the amount to 1/3 cup heavy cream instead of the 1/2 cup whole milk.