- 2 1/2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoons ginger
- 1 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 cup walnut oil or melted butter
- 1 3/4 cup pumpkin puree
- 1/2 cup crushed pecans, optional
- 1 recipe for cream cheese frosting
- cinnamon and toasted pecans to top, if desired
- Preheat oven to 350˚ and prepare two 9″ cake pans by lightly greasing with oil and dusting with flour.
- Combine whole wheat pastry flour, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg, and ginger in a large bowl.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together eggs, pumpkin, oil, and maple syrup. Pour in to dry ingredients and stir until well combine. Fold in pecans if desired. Pour batter evenly in to the two pans, smoothing out to each edge.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes, or until cake springs back when pressed. Remove from oven and let cool in pan for 10 minutes. Remove cake from pan and continue to cool.
- When cake is cool, make frosting and frost cake. Sprinkle with cinnamon and pecans.