- 1/2 cup wheat berries
- 2 cup water
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 Delicata Squash
- 1/2 medium onion, diced
- 1 medium apple, diced
- 1 handful spinach
- pinch salt and pepper
- 1/4 cup walnuts
- 2 slices mozzarella cheese (or your favorite)
- In a large sauce pan, combine wheat berries and water, bring to a rolling boil, and then reduce to a simmer. Cover and let cook for 1 hour until wheat berries are tender. (the texture will still be slightly chewy.) Drain, set aside, and let cool.
- Preheat oven to 400˚. Cut squash in half, remove seeds, and place face down in an 8×8 pan filled with 1/2″ water. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until squash is soft. Remove from oven and set aside.
- Heat olive oil over medium low heat. Add in onions and cook until translucent. Stir in apples and continue to cook until apples are soft, another 3-4 minutes. I chose to leave the skin on the apples but you may also peel the apple. Finally add in spinach, salt, and pepper; continue to cook until spinach is slightly wilted. Remove from heat and stir in cooked wheat berries and walnuts.
- Add wheat berry mixture to squash and top with cheese. Place back in the oven and bake for another 10-15 minutes or until the cheese has melted. Remove and serve immediately.