The flavors of a good vegetarian sushi without the time to roll! This vegetarian sushi bowl also uses a flavorful tea rice as the base.
- 1 cup short grain brown rice
- 2 cups water
- 1 Stash Organic Premium Green Tea bag
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon brown rice syrup (or honey)
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced cucumbers
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced carrots
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced radishes
- 2 teaspoons toasted sesame oil
- 2 teaspoons black sesame seeds
- 1 small avocado
- 1/2 cup edamame
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced red pepper
- 2 to 3 tablespoons pickled ginger
- Sesame Seeds (for serving)
- Soy Sauce (for serving)
- Scallions (for serving)
- Rinse the brown rice well. Combine with water in a medium pot. Cut open the green tea bag and sprinkle over the rice then give a stir to combine. Cover and let the rice cook until all the water has absorbed, 45 minutes. Whisk together the rice vinegar, rice syrup, and salt then stir into the cooked rice.
- While the rice cooks, prepare the vegetables. Combine the cucumbers, carrots, radishes with the sesame oil and sesame seeds; let sit.
- Once rice is done, assemble the bowls with all the vegetables and pickled ginger. Serve with extra sesame seeds and soy sauce.
Tips & Tricks: I almost always use short grain brown rice even though it’s not a traditional sushi rice. Other options are sweet brown rice or true sushi rice.
Nutrition: See the information.
- Calories: 602
- Sugar: 10.3
- Sodium: 287
- Fat: 20.5
- Carbohydrates: 95
- Fiber: 11.5
- Protein: 13
- Cholesterol: 0