A filling vegan dinner with two of my favorite components: easy turmeric brown rice and rich, coconut-creamed kale. Perfect for dinner or even breakfast.
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1/4 cup minced yellow onion
- 2 teaspoons minced ginger
- 1 cup short grain brown rice
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric powder
- 1 1/2 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
- salt, to taste
- 1 bunch (8 ounces) lacinato kale
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup low-sodium vegetable broth
- 3/4 cup full-fat coconut milk
- salt, to taste
- Toasted Cashews, for topping
- Toasted Coconut Flakes, for topping
- Heat a medium sized pot over medium-low heat. Add the onion and cook for 4 to 5 minutes, until the onions are translucent and fragrant. Stir in the ginger, cooking for one minute. Next, add in the rice and turmeric, toasting for one more minute. Measure in 1 1/2 cups vegetable broth and bring mixture to a boil, reduce to a simmer, cover, and let cook for 35 to 40 minutes, until the majority of liquid has been absorbed. Remove from heat and allow to sit for 10 minutes.
- Prepare the kale by removing the stems and cutting the leaves into 1/4 inch strips. Towards the end of the rice being ready, heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a large, wide pot. Add in the garlic, cooking for roughly a minute. Add the chopped kale and stir to coat with the garlic. Add in 1/2 cup vegetable broth, cover, and let kale cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add in the coconut milk and continue to cook greens until tender, roughly 3 to 5 minutes more. Taste and add salt as needed.
- Serve greens over a large scoop of turmeric rice and top with toasted cashews and coconut.
Tips & Tricks: As mentioned in the recipe above, let your grains sit, off heat, after cooking. This helps keep them intact so your grains are nice and fluffy and not sticky.
- Calories: 689
- Sugar: 3.7
- Sodium: 96.6
- Fat: 33.1
- Carbohydrates: 90.2
- Fiber: 8.3
- Protein: 14.5
- Cholesterol: 0