As I am battling some sort of cold/infection and my brain is a bit fuzzy, the photos will have to speak for this recipe. (beyond the fact that this is a delicious weekend breakfast that is hearty and can be adapted for what you have on hand!)
Three-Grain Baked Breakfast
- 2/3 cup Rye Flakes
- 2/3 cup Barley Flakes
- 2/3 cup Oatmeal
- 1/2 cup pecan pieces
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 cup flaxseeds
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 2 cups milk
- 2 eggs
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted (or your favorite oil)
- 3 cups seasonal fruit (blueberries, raspberries, strawberries)- you can also use frozen
- Preheat oven to 375˚.
- In a large skillet over medium-low heat combine rye, barley, oatmeal, and pecans. Lightly toast for 5-6 minutes. Remove from heat and combine with flaxseeds, cinnamon, salt, and baking powder.
- Prepare an 8x8 dish by lightly buttering the surface. Place half the fruit in the bottom of the dish and cover with grain mixture.
- In a separate bowl whisk together milk, eggs, melted butter, and maple syrup. Pour evenly over grains and fruit. Finish by sprinkling remaining fruit on top.
- Bake for 45-50 minutes. The grains should be set and the top should be golden brown. Serve immediately with milk, heavy cream, extra sweetener, or more fruit.