An beautiful side dish that could easily be turned into a hearty vegetarian lunch, these braised carrots are cook with smoky tea for extra flavor.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3/4 pound petite carrots (tops trimmed)
- 1/4 cup loosely packed Stash Lapsang souchong tea
- Pinch of salt
- 1/2 cup to 1 water
- Sliced almonds (for topping)
- Parsley (for topping)
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet with a lid over medium high heat. Place whole carrots into skillet and sear for 2 to 3 minutes, turning once or twice. Sprinkle in the loose leaf tea and salt. Add the water, just enough that it covers about 1/4 inch of the bottom of the pan. Bring to boil then reduce to simmer. Cover and let simmer 6 to 8 minutes, until carrots are just tender.
- Transfers carrots to a serving platter, leaving the tea behind in the pan, and sprinkle with minced parsley and sliced almonds before serving.
Tips & Tricks: This quantity of tea imparts a mild flavor in the braised carrots. Feel free to add or reduce the amount of tea depending on how you like the flavor of this dish!
Nutrition: see the information.
- Calories: 65
- Sugar: 4
- Sodium: 133.6
- Fat: 3.6
- Fiber: 2.4
- Protein: .8
- Cholesterol: 8.2