Sometimes the Midwest and I don’t always get along. I had beautiful weather spring break and into the early part of this (we’re talking 70˚ and sunny) and then, the temperature dropped and we have snow in the forecast for the next few days.
Really, I’m use to the weather shifts but my allergies, not so much. I’ve been down for the count the past two days and luckily it is almost the weekend so I can have a chance to rest.
But on to other things! Remember my early csa harvest?
I’ve been eating fresh salads everyday and now I’m antsy for it to be May so I can have fresh produce every week! I really want to focus this summer on healthy and easy vegetarian options from local produce. This is my start!
This meal is power packed between the chard and the garbanzo beans. I happened to have some left over rice in the refrigerator to use in this meal but I think that quinoa or cous cous would be just as delicious!
Bring on the sunshine and warm weather!
Swiss Chard and Chickpeas
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 cup green garlic (Sub 1/4 c green onions and 1 clove of garlic)
- 5-6 stalks swiss chard
- 1/2 cup garbanzo beans drained and rinsed
- 2 teaspoons fresh thyme
- 1/4 cup feta
- 1 cup cooked brown rice (optional)
- In a medium skillet, heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil and add in the green garlic (see substitution if you can't find green garlic.)
- Stir in garbanzo beans and let cook until they begin to brown slightly (4-5 minutes.) From there stir in swiss chard (de-stemmed), thyme, and remaining tablespoon of olive oil. Let chard cook saute until it cooks down.
- Remove from heat and toss with brown rice and feta. This would also make for a great dish without the brown rice or mixed with any other type of grain.
by Erin Alderson