Spring is close, I can feel it (even with this supposed impending snow storm that is suppose to hit later this week). I know that once temperatures inch up a bit more I’ll be looking back to the lighter food, waiting for asparagus and fresh baby spinach. So for now, I’ll still indulge a bit in the heartier (cheesier) meals of winter.
Sweet Potato Gnocchi Mac and Blue Cheese
- One recipe for Whole Wheat Sweet Potato Gnocchi
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/3 medium onion, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons whole wheat pastry flour (or unbleached AP flour)
- 1 cup milk
- 1 1/4 cups crumbled blue cheese*
- Preheat oven to 375˚.
- Prepare gnocchi as directed through cooking. Drain and set aside.
- In a sauce pan, melt butter. Add onions and salt, cooking until onion is soft, 3-4 minutes. Whisk in flour and cook for another minute.
- Next, pour in milk continuing to whisk until mixture thickens and is just starting to boil. Remove from heat and stir in 3/4 cup blue cheese until melted.
- Combine gnocchi and sauce in a small baking dish (I used my 5" round baking dish) . Top with remaining 1/2 cup blue cheese and bake until bubbly and golden brown on top, 20-30 minutes (depending on size of dish used).