- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 shallot, minced
- 2 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch cubes (roughly 4 cups)
- 1 pear, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch cubes (roughly 1 cup)
- 3 1/2 to 4 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- Blue cheese, garnish
- coarsely chopped pecans, garnish
- Heat a pot over medium-low heat. Add olive oil, then shallots; saute until shallots are fragrant, 3 to 4 minutes. Stir in sweet potatoes, pears, 3 1/2 cups vegetable broth, the smoked paprika, pepper and salt. Bring to a boil, then lower heat and simmer until potatoes are soft, 15 to 18 minutes.
- Use an immersion blender (or transfer soup to a standard blender) and puree until smooth. Add more vegetable broth, if you prefer a thinner soup. Stir in heavy cream. Taste and adjust seasoning.
- Divide soup into two bowls. Top with crumbled blue cheese, pecans and freshly ground black pepper.