Today I present ten useless facts about me (because really, everyone has fun useless facts and the small amount of elegance I have with words seems to be eluding me):
1. I stand in the grocery store staring at bananas for what seems like hours (when really it’s probably only 5 minutes) while I try and decide which bunch is the perfect size and ripeness.
2. I sing show turns like it’s my job. Current show tune: “Matchmaker, Matchmaker make me a match. Find me a find, catch me a catch….”
3. I still stick my tongue out when it snows.
4. I dream that once I’m done with my job (May 2013) I’m going to move out to Colorado and become a snowboard bum (sorry mom and dad.)
5. I still believe in fairytale love (this one is for better and for worse- I blame disney and romantic comedies.)
6. I still go to the park and swing.
7. One of the only things I regret in life was not sticking with piano (even though I was five when I quit- I chose Saturday morning cartoons. An honest mistake!)
8. The train is my favorite mode of transportation (next to walking and bike riding.)
9. I work best in chaotic places (like coffee shops) even though I end up people watching the majority of the time.
10. I don’t often eat oranges because I hate (loathe) peeling them. (so this recipe was perfect- no peeling involved!)
This week’s recipe was for a beef and bean sprout stir-fry. I opted out of the beef and couldn’t find bean sprouts (yay rural Illinois!) So, I went for beans and cabbage. This meal takes no time to throw together and is the perfect lunch or light supper. I can even imagine that it would be good cold the next day (it didn’t last that long.)
For this week’s actual recipe click over to Dominica’s Blog and for everyone else’s take, head over to the Food Matters Project website!
(PS- I love hearing random facts so I’d love for you to share a random fact about yourself!)
- 4 oz soba noodles
- 1/2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 bunch green onions
- 2 cups shredded purple cabbage
- 1/2 cup garbanzo beans
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- zest from 1/2 orange
- juice from 1/2 orange
- 1/2 tablespoon honey
- Cook Soba noodles according to package, set aside. (this can be done while the veggies cook.)
- In a large skillet heat olive oil over medium heat. Add in onions and cabbage. Let cook until until cabbage begins to soften. Stir in garbanzo beans, zest, sesame seeds, soy sauce, juice, and honey. Continue to cook until beans are warm and the liquids has cooked down a bit.
- Combine the noodles and the veggies. Serve with a sprinkle of green onion and a little extra soy sauce!