A quick and easy black bean taco with homemade relish featuring roasted red peppers and salty cheese.
Red Pepper Relish
- 1 Roasted Red Pepper (see note)
- 1/4 cup crumbled cotija cheese
- 3 tablespoons minced white onion
- 3 tablespoons minced cilantro
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1/2 teaspoon lime zest
- Pinch of salt
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 teaspoon coriander seeds
- pinch dried pepper flakes
- 1/2 cup black beans (with liquids)
- Pinch of salt
- 4 corn tortillas
- For relish, dice the roasted red pepper and place in a bowl. Add the remaining ingredients for the relish and toss to combine. Taste and adjust flavors as desired- it’s a pretty loose combination. Set aside while the black beans cook
- To make beans, in a dry skillet over medium-low heat, toast the coriander and cumin seeds for 2-3 minutes. Seeds should be fragrant and beginning to brown. Place in a pestle with dried pepper flakes and crush until spices are ground.
- Return spices to the skillet and add ½ cup of black beans and liquids. Heat over medium low and let cook until liquids have mostly cooked out, anywhere from 4 to 8 minutes, careful not to over cook- beans will turn to mush. Taste and adjust pepper if needed.
- Assemble tacos with a spoonful of black beans followed by pepper relish.
Tips and Tricks: For the roasted red pepper, I highly recommend roasting (or grilling) your own. The flavor from the jarred peppers are not the same (but will work in a pinch).
In a hurry, I’ve ditched cooking the black beans and just used black beans by themselves as the base (as seen in the pictures above). While I love my spiced black beans, sometimes I really don’t feel like cooking!
Nutrition: See the information.
- Calories: 325
- Sugar: 2.7
- Sodium: 837
- Fat: 13.6
- Carbohydrates: 39.5
- Fiber: 8.8
- Protein: 15.1
- Cholesterol: 37