- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 medium onion
- 3 clove garlic
- 1 1/2 cup roasted red peppers
- 1/2 cup fresh basil
- 1/4 cup white wine
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon unbleached all purpose flour
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1 cup Gruyere cheese
- parm and basil for topping
- salt and pepper to taste
- In a medium sauce pan, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add onions and garlic and cook until onions are translucent and garlic is fragrant: 5-7 minutes. Add in red peppers and basil, continuing to cook until peppers are heated through. Stir in white wine and continue to cook for one more minute. Remove from heat and carefully pour into a food processor. Turn on food processor and let run until pepper mix is creamy and only have small lumps. Set aside.
- Rinse out the medium sauce pan and add in the butter over medium heat. Once butter has melted, whisk in flour and continue to cook for 1-2 minutes. Whisk in milk, stir constantly, and continue to cook until the sauce begins to thicken. Remove from heat and stir in cheese, continually stirring until cheese has melted. Stir in pepper mixture and return to stove stop. Over medium low heat, return sauce to a warm temperature to serve.
- To serve, pour over your choice of pasta and top with parmesan and more fresh basil.