- 2 1/2 cups fresh cranberries
- 1/4 cup 2% or whole milk
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 2 cups (240g) Einkorn Flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 vanilla bean
- 1/2 cup cold butter, cut into chunks
- 1 large egg
- Egg Wash
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon heavy cream
- Preheat oven to 400˚. Place cranberries in a roasting pan and bake for 15-20 minutes. Cranberries should have released their juices. Set aside to let cool.
- While cranberries are roasting, slice the vanilla bean in half and scrape out the seeds into a small sauce pan. Add the milk to the pan, bring to a simmer, remove from heat, and let cool completely.
- Once cranberries and milk are cool, whisk together Einkorn flour, baking powder, and salt. With your hands or a pastry blender, cut the butter into the flour mixture. Butter should be in pea size pieces.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together 1 egg, maple syrup, and milk. Pour into dry ingredients and stir until just coming together.
- Scoop dough onto a well floured surface and pat into a large rectangle. Spread cooled cranberries over dough and roll into a log or fold into a circle. Cut eight triangles out of the dough and place on a baking tray covered with parchment paper.
- Whisk together egg and heavy cream then brush over scones. Bake for 20-24 minutes until scones are golden and firm. Remove from oven and let cool before eating.
*You can sub whole wheat pastry flour or unbleached all-purpose flour for the Einkorn.